Re: default kernel

On 19/08/14 01:15, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 08/19/14 03:28, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 15:04:53 -0400,
  Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 07:59:53 -0500
Bruno Wolff III wrote:

Normally whether to use the lastest or previous kernel by default is
set in /etc/sysconfig/kernel.

Well, I finally got a chance to check that file and it says:

UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-core

Not sure what the kernel-core setting means, but it definitely
looks as if UPDATEDEFAULT=yes was ignored.

If you were using a PAE kernel, it would have had kernel-PAE-core (or kernel-PAE). This matters if you have both PAE and non-PAE kernels installed. (Previously SMP kernels used to be available as well.) It says which varient should be used for the default boot.

I don't yet have an F21 system.  But on an F20 system these are set to....

UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

If there is no package type of kernel-core then I suspect all bets are off as to the behavior.

For F21 the kernel team have changed how the kernel packages are split: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Kernel_Packaging_for_Cloud

--
Ahmad Samir