Re: automatic partitioning

On Wed, 2014-03-26 at 16:34 +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> I have been following the discussions about the workstation
> part of Fedora.next and as anaconda installer was mentioned
> as the model of things to come I tried an install of Rawhide
> from a nightly build (this was not succesfull due to kernel
> errors, but that is not relevant here).
>
> I do hope this version is not the sign of things to come
> with regard to 'automatic partioning': it is no longer
> possible to choose 'standard partitions' here. Anaconda
> just blazes ahead with 'LVM'. (Custom partioning does
> still provide this choice I see).
>
> Now I can understand using LVM on servers and of course it
> would be nice to have on some desktops or even some laptops
> for certain eventualities and for some users.
>
> But a lot of users are quite happy with 'fixed' solutions,
> especially on laptops, and might not like this unnecessary
> complication. And do not like or need LVM.
>
> I certainly don't and would like to see this option back
> for 'automatic partitioning' so that I don't have to do
> the unnecessary extra work involved with custom partitioning.
>
> I have no need of special disk layouts so I mostly do
> quick uncomplicated default installs with automatic partitioning.

Sorry, but I'm afraid that is the plan, yes. There've been pretty
extensive discussions of this both here (test@) and on devel@ recently,
which give the rationale.

It is pretty easy to go through custom partitioning for this, though.
It's only three or four extra clicks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey