Re: May I file 1000 bugs aka upstream test suite tracking

On 02/23/2014 12:14 PM, drago01 wrote:
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/22/2014 07:34 PM, drago01 wrote:

And running tests at build time is a kludge anyway building has
nothing to do with testing.

Well, a lot of people will disagree with this claim.

Sure a lot of people disagree with a lot of things.

Testing as part of building (running a package's testsuite) can cover a lot
of cases, but is a subset of general testing.

I didn't say it cannot cover cases (in fact it does). It is just the
wrong point where it should be run.

I have to disagree with you again.

The best place to implement a package's self test is within the package, by the package authors. This is common practice for ages and has been exercised 1000's of times.

I regret, but denying this consideration is just evidence of lack of experience.

We do it due to lack of better
infrastructure.
Sure one can add additonal tests at various levels outside of a package, but this doesn't invalidate what I wrote above.

Ralf