Re: Fedora 20 release day FedUp bug: post-mortem

On Seg, 2013-12-30 at 00:05 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks. Now things have calmed down a bit in Fedora 20 and Rawhide, I
> have time to write this mail!
>
> Many of you may already know that there was a significant issue with
> upgrades to Fedora 20 around release day - 2013-12-17.
>
> Summary of the issue
> --------------------
>
> Upgrading to Fedora 20 using version 0.7 of the FedUp tool does not
> work. Upgrading with version 0.8 works (in the main - of course there
> are bugs, there are always bugs).
>
> At the time Fedora 20 was released, version 0.7 of FedUp was present in
> the Fedora 18 and Fedora 19 'updates' repositories. Version 0.8 of FedUp
> was present in 'updates-testing' for both Fedora 18 and Fedora 19 at the
> time.
>
> Immediate response to the issue
> Common Bugs page
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F20_bugs#fedup-07-fail ), the
> forums, and social network sites like G+. We advised using fedup 0.8
> from updates-testing to upgrade.
>
> We rapidly ensured 0.8 was submitted for stable push for both F18 and
> F19. It was submitted for F19 at 2013-12-17 21:12:18 (I believe Bodhi
> timestamps are UTC, so that was mid-afternoon on release day in NA) and
> for F18 at 2013-12-18 11:51:47 (early morning on the day after release).
>
> However, release engineering complications (there were some problems
> with stable pushes at the time) meant it wasn't finally pushed until
> 2013-12-19 07:23:09 UTC for F19 (late on the day after release NA time)
> and 2013-12-19 14:05:50 UTC for F18 (early morning two days after
> release) and wouldn't have made it to most mirrors until 2013-12-19, two
> days after release, and probably 2013-12-20 in 'early' timezones in
> Europe and Asia.
>
> Proximate cause of the issue
> ----------------------------
>
> We have not yet identified the direct (proximate) cause of the bug;
> doing so did not seem especially important in comparison to ensuring
> news of the issue was spread as widely as possible, ensuring 0.8 was
> sent stable as soon as possible, and resolving some related issues (see
> later). However, QA's current inference is that there is some
> incompatibility between how fedup 0.7 modifies the initramfs used by the
> upgrade process and/or how it configures the upgrade boot environment,
> and the expectations of the upgrade environment as it exists within the
> final shipped upgrade initramfs. The upgrade initramfs is generated as
> part of the release compose process, and is dependent on factors
> including the versions of dracut and fedup-dracut used to build it.
> Broadly, we suspect that an upgrade run with fedup 0.7 which uses an
> upgrade initramfs generated with fedup-dracut 0.8 will not work, for
> reasons not yet identified.

A few day before fedup-0.8 appears I upgrade some systems to F20 (in pre
releases ) without problems ...

1 - So one solution could be not update fedup to 0.8 in F20 , can't we
exclude some package from fedup update ?

repoquery --disablerepo=updates\* fedup
fedup-0:0.7.3-7.fc20.noarch

2 - why fedup-dracut still 0.7 in F19 ?

Thanks,