Re: Many attempts to install f20 today -

On Wed, 2013-12-25 at 18:11 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> In setting the location from New York to Detroit, if I did not get
> Detroit the 1st time or even when back to try and select something else,
> I lost the down arrow to scroll beyond the 'a's.  I had to type Detroit
> in on the location bar.  This was consistant behaviour.  Had enough
> times doing this step.

That dropdown is known to be a bit wacky; apparently it's a bug in GTK+
the anaconda devs can't do much about. Seems like it's been waiting a
long time to get fixed.

> If I selected my local repo, Updates became not an option. Regardless if
> I used the DVD install (i386 and x86_64) or the netinstal (only tried
> x86_64), consistantly this became greyed out. I could not provide the
> URL for where I have my local updates repo. It did not matter if I added
> repo=url to the boot line, or did it in the GUI.  The moment I selected
> my own http URL, I lost updates.

With the interactive install, I believe anaconda doesn't expect you to
pass multiple repos; it's expecting either a (single) actual yum package
repository, or a mirror tree with a .treeinfo file specifying the
location of the standard repo set. With a kickstart you can specify
multiple separate repos, I think. But I haven't really poked into this
behaviour much since newUI.

> As far as adding repo= to the boot line, i386 and x86_64 work
> differently!  But I suspect you know that.  tab with i386 and 'e' with
> x86_64.

Um. What? Oh. The boot menu. I think you more likely saw live vs.
non-live rather than x86_64 vs. i386. They're built a bit differently.
But I can't say I've bothered looking into it that closely either.
ctrl-X vs. F10 to actually boot once you've edited it is
similar...sometimes one works, sometimes the other, sometimes both. I
just file it under 'not sufficiently serious that I have time for it' at
present, sadly.

> Sometimes when I selected LVM for the partitioning, the LVM partition
> name would be 'fedora_19'.  I left it like that in this install that
> finally worked and here is what df has to say for itself:
>
> $ df -h
> Filesystem                          Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/fedora_19-root           29G  4.8G   23G  18% /
> devtmpfs                            1.3G     0  1.3G   0% /dev
> tmpfs                               1.3G  164K  1.3G   1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs                               1.3G 1016K  1.3G   1% /run
> tmpfs                               1.3G     0  1.3G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs                               1.3G   44K  1.3G   1% /tmp
> /dev/sda1                           477M   96M  352M  22% /boot
> /dev/mapper/fedora_19-home          257G   32G  212G  14% /home
>
> Some times it used the host name.  Depended on what steps I took to get
> to setting up the LVM partition.

It's probably re-using the existing VG rather than blowing it away and
creating a new one, the '19' rather suggests that.

> In summary of what is important:
>
> Why have my installs to the SSD failed (writing bootloader).

It is absolutely impossible to tell without at least program.log. It's
kind of annoying that all cases of bootloader install failing on UEFI
install keep getting written off as dupes of 1006304, because when
they're marked as dupes we don't get logs, and there's just no way to
know what's going on. I've posted a couple of comments asking if
anaconda and libreport devs can figure that out, but nothing doing yet.

If you have a copy of program.log (and ideally all the other logs...)
from one of those failures, we could try and figure it out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey