Re: Recommended system requirements for f20 not sufficient?

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 01:10 +0100, Lars Seipel wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:03:36AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Well, I did some testing during F20 cycle which seems to indicate F20
> > Shell takes up a lot more memory than F19 when using llvmpipe. We're not
> > sure exactly what's going on yet,
>
> It's not just Gnome Shell's fault I think.

No, it really is a Shell/llvmpipe specific issue. I checked.

>  At least for some time during
> Alpha/Beta even kickstarted text-only installs (virt-install pointed to
> an install tree over HTTP) locked up due to lack of memory.  That's with
> 1 GiB and no swap. Increase that to 1.5 GiB and the install process
> completed.

During Alpha, that's normal, it's been that way for 2-3 releases. Modern
debug kernels are very slow and inefficient; installing with a debug
kernel seems to exhaust 1GB of RAM quite easily. That's a separate
issue, though, and not relevant to final release.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey