Re: /etc/default/grub initialization?; more about RC5 (with KDE)

On 11/09/2013 12:29 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
I installed 20betaRC5 the night it was announced, without installing
bootloader, since stealing my MBR is not acceptable. After a bunch of
boots and general housekeeping and testing and finding os-prober,
grubby, grub2-tools and grub2 installed, I proceeded to try to setup
Grub2 on /. grub2-install --force /dev/sda8 reported no errors.
Chainloading from the primary bootloader succeeds in reaching only a
grub> prompt, as expected.

Next I wanted to do grub2-mkconfig, but there was no /etc/default/grub.
Shouldn't some already installed package (grub2-tools or os-prober?)
have already created one, if not usable, a skeleton of some kind? Is it
normal in multiboot installations to wind up with an /etc/default/grub
with no more than GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true in it?

FWIW I keep a generic copy of /etc/default/grub around for just this reason and copy it to /etc/default before running grub2-mkconfig. Alternatively you can create a one liner default by echoing GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true to it.

<snip>

--
Regards,
OldFart