/etc/default/grub initialization?; more about RC5 (with KDE)

I installed 20betaRC5 the night it was announced, without installing bootloader, since stealing my MBR is not acceptable. After a bunch of boots and general housekeeping and testing and finding os-prober, grubby, grub2-tools and grub2 installed, I proceeded to try to setup Grub2 on /. grub2-install --force /dev/sda8 reported no errors. Chainloading from the primary bootloader succeeds in reaching only a grub> prompt, as expected.

Next I wanted to do grub2-mkconfig, but there was no /etc/default/grub. Shouldn't some already installed package (grub2-tools or os-prober?) have already created one, if not usable, a skeleton of some kind? Is it normal in multiboot installations to wind up with an /etc/default/grub with no more than GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true in it?

Should I install syslinux-extlinux instead, since chainloading to F20 is how it will normally be started?

I did a minimal install, then added various KDE and X bits to keep it minimalist. This left multi-user.target as default. After rebooting after installing KDM and changing target to graphical, first try to use login manager to reboot failed to do anything but close X down, leaving me at a login prompt. I logged in only to run shutdown -r. It worked, but only after a multi minute delay. After rebooting more, it's still not rebooting from the login screen, and delaying after shutdown -r. Turn off from login screen works normally.

According to the system display's specifications, its native mode is 1440x900, but X started in 1280x1024, so needed be forced via xrandr or kscreen to 1440x900 after session start. KDE remembers 1440x900, but only after a delay, during which the desktop gets painted in sections indicating it's initially in 1280x1024 as used by KDM, before it reshuffles things into a proper 1440x900 painting.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/