Re: Bug 499836: It's back

On 06/22/2013 09:05 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> I have a SIIG USB keyboard with mechanical switches.
> The mechanical switches greatly reduce the error rate when I type.
>
> The p8z77-vle plus BIOS does not seem to have a problem with this keyboard.
> Once Fedora finishes booting the keyboard is recognized.
> The grub2 boot however does not read keyboard presses,
> preventing selection of anything but the latest Fedora installation.
>
> A workaround is to use a purple USB keyboard to PS2 interface.

Please identify the specific keyboard.  Run /usr/bin/lsusb,
or find the info in syslog (often /var/log/messages) or output from
dmesg, or "journalctl -a --this-boot".  It is a lot easier to search
for info or experiences related to a specific model number instead
of a description such as "a SIIG USB keyboard with mechanical switches."

Examples:
-----
$ lsusb  |  grep -i keyboard
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1e54:2030 TypeMatrix 2030 USB Keyboard

$ dmesg  |  grep -i keyboard
[    2.107612] hid-generic 0003:1E54:2030.0002: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [TypeMatrix.com USB Keyboard] on usb-0000:00:13.1-2/input0
-----

Obviously the first thing to check is which scan codes are generated when.
Many electronic keyboards generate one code on keypress and a different
code on key release, for *EVERY* key.  (The release code often is 0x80
more than the press code.)  Some mechanical keyboards omit the codes
for key release, except for "Shift" keys.  /usr/bin/xev provides some
diagnostic info for HID events that are seen by X11, including KeyPress
and KeyRelease.  Does xev see both events for the "SIIG USB keyboard
with mechanical switches"?