Re: need PreferredMode troubleshooting help [solved]

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That was it. 'yum remove kscreen' wanted to remove kde-workspace. 'rpm -e
> --nodeps kscreen' mostly fixed it. There's a strong flicker I can't recall
> ever seeing before from the Radeon's DVI output (also in SUSE) as if running
> below 60 refresh, while actually running 75, but its VGA and Intel's output
> work normally. 'zypper se -s reen' finds no similar 13.1 package for 4.10.4.

You can just disable kscreen without resorting to forced rpm commands
if that's what you want:
qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.unloadModule kscreen
qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.setModuleAutoloading kscreen false

> Now the questions have become:
>
> 1-why is it required for single display F19 KDE users?

As Adam points out, it's very useful for single monitor setups as well.

> 2-does it need to by default usurp xorg.conf directives?

As I understand it, expecting X to handle anything more than one
display sanely is unpossible, so if the desktops want to provide a
sane experience in this regard, they need to handle things themselves.
 I'm sure that GNOME and KDE both wouldn't be doing this if they
didn't have a good reason.

-T.C.