Re: F19 Final criteria revamp

On 06/10/2013 07:51 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Sun, 2013-06-09 at 23:34 -0400, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Jun 5, 2013, at 12:55 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* We were covering bootloaders in a half-assed way in the Windows dual
boot criterion, but that seemed kinda dumb, so I figured it would make
sense to break out an explicit bootloader criterion: "The installer must
allow the user to choose which disk the system bootloader will be
installed to, and to choose not to install one at all." In practice
that's basically what we required to work for F18.
I'd like to point out a problem with the existing #9 final criterion,
which reads:"	• The installer must be able to install into free space
alongside an existing clean single-partition Windows installation and
either install a bootloader which can boot into the Windows
installation, or leave the Windows bootloader untouched and working."

It seems the "single-partition" requirement has been unreasonable for
a long time, since Windows 7/8 OEM installations are multi-partition,
and if the disk partition is erased and Windows 7/8 is re-installed on
an unpartitioned disk, it creates multiple partition installations.
Oh, yes - I forgot to mention it in my write-up, but I actually recalled
you raising that issue before, and adjusted the text of the rewritten
criterion somewhat. Could you take a look and see if it's better now, or
still needs improving? Thanks. In particular, what's the default
'multi-partition' layout of Win7/8? I don't think I've seen a stock
install of either (I still use an old copy of XP for Windows testing,
here.)

We should just drop that entirely.

Our criteria should not depend on windows ( or any other OS for that matter ) nor can we expect all users to own a windows or require it from them to obtain it legally or illegally just so this get's tested.

Red Hat can just keep this criteria for RHEL if that's the reason for it to exist there in the first place in since it can supply it's employees with valid Microsoft releases to test against.

JBG