Re: Dealing with critical bugs in final releases

On 22/04/13 09:09 AM, Michael Spahn wrote:
Thank your for your detailed feedback.

Is there any special group with a focus on testing anaconda?

That would be us. Testing anaconda is probably 50% of what we do.

I think that just happened due to a lack of physical hardware to test
Fedora 18. :-/

We do an awful lot of testing on an awful lot of physical hardware. But it's impossible to either test a release on all possible hardware, or to adopt as a policy that we don't ship anything if there's any hardware on which it doesn't work. I doubt anyone has ever released an operating system which works on all PC hardware.

If I got your point right it's also no option to just update to the
latest anaconda (for example) and use the same packages like the first
spin?

You can do that with a live install, and using an updates image - as documented in the bug and on the commonbugs page - is the equivalent for non-live installs.

For a network-related bug like this, it's likely better to source the updates image from a local device - USB stick would be easiest - than from the network.

It's very easy to propose releasing new spins, but it's much harder to actually do it. It would suck up a bunch of release engineering and QA time, because each re-spin would have to go through the same spin/validate/re-spin/validate/release process that any Fedora release goes through. It is not a trivial effort.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey