systemd/dracut breakage (Re: Unsigned packages?)

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:18:34 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > No worries. The trouble has started _after_ updating with --nogpgcheck,
> > however. The updated installation doesn't boot anymore with errors
> > about systemd, plymouth, dbus, connection refused, whatever.
>

> Check the messages from myself and Harald recently about issues with
> fedora-release and dracut.

Not that easy. Harald's heads-up has been the first message I revisited.
I've downloaded and updated those packages, I've rebuilt the initramfs
image, but I still get several errors and a failing boot. It starts with
an error about a missing root= kernel arg, but there are lots of errors
from systemd. After a few seconds of waiting, systemd prints tons of pages
of output on the console. The two rebuilt images are much smaller than the
oldest one:

$ ls -la initramfs*
-rw-------. 1 root root 25070635 Mar 12 22:35 initramfs-061cacfc32c84e6ab8a81074ceb48631-rescue.img
-rw-------. 1 root root 22228490 Mar 12 14:24 initramfs-3.9.0-0.rc1.git2.1.fc19.x86_64.img
-rw-------. 1 root root 13745368 Mar 17 23:07 initramfs-3.9.0-0.rc2.git0.2.fc19.x86_64.img
-rw-------. 1 root root 13899271 Mar 17 23:08 initramfs-3.9.0-0.rc2.git0.3.fc19.x86_64.img

One work-around I've found is to multi-boot into F18, run grub2-mkconfig there
to get updated boot menu entries for F19, and then I could boot the oldest
kernel via the advanced options boot menu. That succeeds.

The only minor problem I faced there is that something had triggered
SELinux relabeling, and that blocked the LUKS password prompt and the
Escape key, so I rebooted without "rhgb quiet" to get feedback about the
progress.  Eventually, waiting for the LUKS device timed out, but when the
relabeling was done, the password prompt reappeared and I could continue.

Next thing I'll try is to rebuild the initramfs images again within the
running F19. It's even smaller (similar to the size when these problems
had started). That doesn't look promising.

-rw-------. 1 root root  8236526 Mar 18 10:40 initramfs-3.9.0-0.rc2.git0.3.fc19.x86_64.img

--
Fedora release 19 (…) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc1.git2.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 3.19 1.26 0.46