Re: manual disk configuration problems

On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 10:17 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:

> Entirely possible, but I've been doing custom partitioning since FC1 and
> I have generally been able to work through interface quirks. One thing I
> really don't like about the new manual partitioning interface, unless
> I'm missing something, is that you must select the drives you want to
> use, and then, it only displays total size of the combined drives. There
> doesn't seem to be a way to define partitions on each drive separately

Not exactly, but you can define which drive a partition should go on:
create the partition, then hit the 'Gears' icon (with the + and - icons)
at the bottom of the left-hand pane. You can define the target partition
from that dialog.

> and there is no running total of space left on individual drives as you
> create partitions

This part is correct, yeah.

> Anyway, I'll try to remember the options I set - I had these two drives
> which I partitioned using the Gparted Distro - they were set up just I
> described in my opening comments of my initial post. When I then booted
> the F18 beta and went into custom partitioning it saw those partitions
> and informed me that all my drive space was in use; I then went to the
> reclaim space page where I selected each partition, gave it a mountpoint
> and label, and ticked the format box; I even did that with the swap
> partition - each time, when I clicked on the continue button, I got the
> error about checking storage configuration...

What mount points did you assign exactly? Was the disk formatted as GPT
or MS-DOS?

>  There aren't really a
> whole lot of options - someplace else, there was a dialog about
> partitioning type offerning LVM, BRTS, and regular, and that was set to
> regular (I might have those term not quite right).
>
> Anyhow, I'll get that Final TC1 and try that first, next. Is that
> available now?

Yes. If you still have trouble, please attach program.log and
storage.log from /tmp , those should explain where the trouble is.
Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey