Re: new criterion proposal: core kickstart commands

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 12:13 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 09:54:45AM -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > > Having depended on kickstart for years, I'm of the very strong belief
> > > that while it's okay to have a subset for alpha and beta blockers,
> > > *all* documented commands should work for final unless they were
> > > marked as deprecated and gave warnings in a previous release.
> > > (Preferably two releases, since jumping one release is expected with our
> > > lifecycle.)
> > I would prefer this as well, I'm just afraid it's not realistic. We now
> > have months of delay and still dozens of accepted and proposed final
> > blockers. If we demand something like that, we might not be able to
> > release at all.
>
> I think that may be the case _now_ with our current Anaconda situation, but
> the more I think about it, the more strongly I feel about making this the
> approach for future releases. When there's _not_ a big Anaconda rewrite,
> kickstart commands shouldn't change drastically without planning. So, I
> don't think it's unreasonable in the real world.

The commands themselves shouldn't change, but it's certainly possible -
and frequently happens - for something to change in anaconda or some
layer below anaconda which happens to have the effect of breaking a
kickstart directive.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey