Re: Pruning the F18 Proposed Blocker List

On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 14:24 -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> In an attempt to get the proposed blocker list down to a more
> manageable size, I went through all of the currently proposed blockers
> in attempt to classify them into sub-lists.
>
>  - clear +1
>  - clear -1
>  - Need Information
>  - Needs discussion in meeting
>  - Needs more testing
>
> Obviously, this is all based on my opinion and I'm not trying to tell
> anyone how to vote. I'm just attempting to highlight the easier calls
> so that we can focus on voting in-bug for those and have fewer bugs to
> review during the blocker review meetings.
>
> I've listed the bugs that I think are easier +/- 1 below and I'll send
> out another email with the blockers that need testing. I've already
> commented on the bugs I think need more information and will try to
> make sure that they're ready for review.
>
> If you have time, please go through these bugs and vote for blocker
> status (not just gut feeling, though. All nasty bugs are not
> necessarily release blocking bugs) so we can get some of them off the
> proposed list.

For the record we've kind of evolved a convention in the last two or
three releases where apparently uncontroversial bugs that get 3 +1s or 3
-1s in the bug can be accepted/rejected on that basis. Strictly we
should aim for that to be 1 QA, 1 releng, 1 devel rather than just
total-of-3, but with this giant a pile of bugs, we need to get through
them somehow.

Decisions can always be revisited if someone flags them up as
questionable, of course - if you disagree with a decision made this way,
just say so in the bug and we can remove the decision and bring it up in
a meeting instead.

I'll draft some clarifications to the blocker/SOP policies to make it
clear that votes can be done in-bug in this way. To me it's not so
important whether votes happen in a meeting or in the bug, but it *is*
important that they happen somewhere where they're formally recorded for
later evaluation - so I don't think we should take votes from casual IRC
conversation, because that's too hard to recover later.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey