Re: Partitioning related testcases (F18 Installation Matrix template changes)

On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 05:55 -0500, Josef Skladanka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to replace the following test cases:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_install
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_(encrypted)_install
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_(use_all_space)_install
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_(shrink)_install
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_(use_free_space)_install
>
> with ones more appropriate to the new Anaconda UI (see below). I'm not
> that sure about the "Encrypted installation" meta-testcase, but I
> could not think of any better way to say "do whatever you want, just
> create some encrypted partitions. Also, this way might be a bit more
> "suggestive" in how-to report bugs for "newcomers" - it IMHO leads to
> something "I tried Autopart Empty disk with encryption".

My approach would have been to just write a test case that covers the
simple, non-custom encrypted-partition case: install to a fresh disk,
checking the 'encrypt my partitions' checkbox. We have never tried to
programmatically test custom partitioning because it's just too huge.
Your approach isn't horrible, but it does mean we could potentially have
a big lack of consistency between candidate builds: the test could be
marked 'FAIL' for TC3 on the basis that someone tested encrypting an
LVM-on-btrfs-on-RAID volume attached over a SAN that was routed by
RFC1149 (look it up :>), then 'PASS' for TC4 on the basis of someone
testing the simplest possible case (see above). The benefit of having
precise test cases is that it ensures we're actually testing the same
thing from build to build, even if two different people do the test.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey