Re: Radeon HD 5750 on Fedora 18 - airplane take off

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 08:40 +0100, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> I've just tried Fedora 18 Live desktop image. It's a big wow and despite
> some changes in gnome 3.6 which I'm not accustomed to everything seems
> to work fine.
>
> There is however some serious issue, that is also present in earlier
> Fedora 17 release. It's about power management of graphics card. As
> stated in title it's Radeon HD 5750 (Juniper) and open source driver.
> When I started booting Fedora 18 I felt like I was in airplane that is
> about to take off.
>
> I've managed to fix this "bug" (or call I whatever you want) according
> to instructions in
> http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature#KMS_Power_Management_Options .
>
> I have "profile" method set with "low" profile chosen it reduced fan
> speed both on F17 and F18. I use rc.local to set it during boot up. My
> question is: is it possible to set this by default in new Fedora 18? I
> don't know if it could be done during compile time of kernel/drivers or
> must be set explicitly like I did it. I think lot of people will be
> happy to hear that GPU fan isn't so noisy.

We would not pre-empt upstream defaults for this sort of thing. Apart
from anything else, the Fedora X maintainers are heavily plugged into
upstream, so if our X folks thought it made sense to enable the PM code
by default, they'd already have changed that upstream.

I don't follow this closely, but from what I know, the PM code is still
fairly new and is not considered reliable enough to enable by default
yet. The safest setting is still to run the fans in airplane mode - it
may be noisy, but at least we're pretty sure we're not cooking your
GPU. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey