Re: Importance of LVM (was Re: Partitioning criteria revision proposal)

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 00:12 +0200, drago01 wrote:
>
>> > Also, this doesn't catch the case of someone who's never used LVM, does
>> > an install of Fedora, notices that it uses LVM, and gets interested
>> > about it and finds out the neat stuff it can do. That's not a terribly
>> > unusual use case for Linux distros in general, is it? We all start out
>> > as newbies after all...I often find out about cool stuff 'by accident'
>> > in this way, just by stumbling across it.
>>
>> He might also find find out that it is useless for him and that he
>> cannot (easily) remove it without reinstalling. I am not saying LVM
>> does not have use cases where it makes sense. I just don't think it
>> makes sense as a default.
>
> I guess I just don't really get this. Maybe it comes from the fact that
> I know my computer is doing all sorts of stuff all the time that I don't
> 'need' it to do. But I don't really feel compelled to go and build a
> kernel with all the drivers I don't use taken out, and hack up udev not
> to probe things I don't care about, and and and...

My point is that there is a cost of adding it. While the benefit for
the majority of users is almost zero (messing with the system
partitions is not a thing lots of people do after installation).
We are pretty much the only distro that used it by default.

> if something's happening that isn't benefiting me right at this second I
> don't feel some kind of compulsion to RIP IT OUT RIP OUT THE EVIL NOW.

That wasn't my point ...

> So someone finds their system is using LVM and they don't feel like
> taking advantage of any of LVM's specific benefits right now. Fine. What
> have they lost?

See above (and the other post).

> Why would you be so terribly angry that you can't
> 'remove it'? I mean, ext4 probably has benefits I'm not using right now,
> but I'm not feeling compelled to switch my disks to something less
> capable...

Because you don't gain much by using something "less capable".

> The performance point is likely worth bringing up in the bug, though.
> (Of course, invoking Lennart in any debate can have its own pitfalls :>)

Done.