Re: Importance of LVM (was Re: Partitioning criteria revision proposal)

On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 00:12 +0200, drago01 wrote:

> > Also, this doesn't catch the case of someone who's never used LVM, does
> > an install of Fedora, notices that it uses LVM, and gets interested
> > about it and finds out the neat stuff it can do. That's not a terribly
> > unusual use case for Linux distros in general, is it? We all start out
> > as newbies after all...I often find out about cool stuff 'by accident'
> > in this way, just by stumbling across it.
>
> He might also find find out that it is useless for him and that he
> cannot (easily) remove it without reinstalling. I am not saying LVM
> does not have use cases where it makes sense. I just don't think it
> makes sense as a default.

I guess I just don't really get this. Maybe it comes from the fact that
I know my computer is doing all sorts of stuff all the time that I don't
'need' it to do. But I don't really feel compelled to go and build a
kernel with all the drivers I don't use taken out, and hack up udev not
to probe things I don't care about, and and and...

if something's happening that isn't benefiting me right at this second I
don't feel some kind of compulsion to RIP IT OUT RIP OUT THE EVIL NOW.
So someone finds their system is using LVM and they don't feel like
taking advantage of any of LVM's specific benefits right now. Fine. What
have they lost? Why would you be so terribly angry that you can't
'remove it'? I mean, ext4 probably has benefits I'm not using right now,
but I'm not feeling compelled to switch my disks to something less
capable...

The performance point is likely worth bringing up in the bug, though.
(Of course, invoking Lennart in any debate can have its own pitfalls :>)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey