Re: Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

> On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 08:50 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:

> > > No that way the upgrade method used by most users (which is even new
> > > code this time) will get even less testing.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with you here. Regardless of which
> > method is used by most users, I'm wary of leaving a new upgrade method
> > for final instead of getting most of the bugs out in beta even if that
> > does mean that we slip a bit.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to get around this risk unless we require 'all' to
> > work for beta or pretend that we control which upgrade methods are
> > 'recommended'. Any suggestions?
>
> I don't see this as a practical problem. There is no danger that we're
> somehow going to overturn years of Fedora history and declare between
> now and F18 GA that yum is a 'recommended upgrade method'.

To be clear on this - the scenario Tim is worried about, apparently, is
one where, say, for F18 Beta the new upgrade tool is broken, and there
is pressure to simply say 'yum is the recommended upgrade method' for
F18 Beta.

To be clear on my position, I would resist such a fudge. I'm only happy
with the 'any' wording so long as we don't allow the definition of the
'recommended upgrade methods' to be fudged from release to release. We
would have to insist that it refers to the project's permanent ongoing
recommendations and that they can't simply be changed from release to
release for convenience's sake.

I don't see the development team being happy with declaring yum a
permanently 'recommended' upgrade method, so I think as long as we stuck
to that line, the 'any' wording would be OK. But if we are worried that
line wouldn't be holdable, then I'd accept the 'any' wording is a
problem.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey