Re: F18 yum update bricks X - workaround

On 09/13/2012 01:37 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
After successfully installing RC3 and adding various
packages to compile gnuradio et al. I issued a
yum -y --skip-broken update

This pparently updated Noveau or something to a
version that doesn't quite work.  The cursor does
not appear and I was unable to log in by using
tab and cursor keys.

This Noveau thing has happened once or twice before with F18.

This time I was able to install the latest NVIDIA driver but the
machine then locks up when I try to start X.

Intel Core CPU, 8GB, Nvidia 480GT

Changing "rhgb quiet" to "nomodeset" in grub.cfg results in a
workable system that displays the cursor.  Unfortunately it
won't use my monitor's full 1920 resolution but it's better than
something that is profoundly broken.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com