Re: vesa driver is forced through grub instead of xorg.conf

On 2012-09-13 6:56, Kamil Paral wrote:
Description of problem:
I followed

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Basic_Video_Driver
with F18 Alpha RC3. I booted over PXE and added 'nomodeset
xdriver=vesa' to the boot line.

Vesa is forced in the installer and on the installed system, that is
fine. But instead of creating special xorg.conf (or conf.d) file on
the installed system, vesa is forced by adding 'nomodeset' to
grub.cfg.

Is that a correct approach? Should we adjust the test case?

It should in fact do both. The fact that it doesn't is a bug. 'nomodeset' will have the effect of forcing the use of vesa in the case of *most* drivers, these days, since they have no UMS code any more. But it's really more of a lucky side-effect, and it's not 100%; for drivers which do have UMS code, the right thing won't happen.

It's really the xdriver=vesa that's meant to work, and nomodeset was added because if you don't stop the KMS drivers from loading, they will conflict with the vesa driver. The intent is that nomodeset should be specified *and* a config file explicitly requesting the vesa driver (or, in fact, whatever driver is specified with xdriver=foo) should be created.

So we do need to fix the xdriver= function, really. File a bug.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey