Anaconda and network-attached storage devices

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Petr Schindler wrote:

It is a big problem. Lot of things will be broken (won't be in new
anaconda for F18, but should be again in next releases, hopefully). ...
... and I hope that
the discussion within this threads will lead to some action - for me it
would be better to wait, but it looks like we could wait another six
month.

'hope is not a plan' -- Here's a use case discussion ...

A couple weeks ago, I had to do a system recovery on an older unit, where a partition containing the binaries one needed developed drive errors recently. It was old enough (F12 era), I could use the trick of booting with:
	init=/bin/sh
to get the unit up 'enough' that I could do FSCKs and fix libraries enough to get ssh and rsync running, and so suck off the content not covered by backups (a couple of weeks of delta) 'across the wire'. The unit happened to be up at a datacenter, and so inconvenient to simply 'pull the drive' out of, for data recovery

With the cut to systemd, none of us has those kind of 'tricks' at hand yet, and a media boot into 'rescue mode' with a kernel 'close' to what one is repairing, is pretty well mandatory. It is probably possible to do so via PXE, but would be extrordinarily cumbersome to document in the general case

It may be that a live CD will turn the trick for rescue modes, but the reason one falls back to install media (and 'rescue mode') is for hardware and LV fixup/ drive detection, and finally being able to chroot into a sick drive ... that is, to perform the rescue

The absence of TUI rescue may be OK is RawHide (where it is permissible to eat kittens for breakfast), but not for a formal release, I would think ... perhaps a separate 'Recovery disk' ISO might be spun, with the F17 anaconda but F18 kernel, and ancillaries? I 'get it' that it is cumbersome to maintain two paths, but without some way to address recovery, I have to think that well-advised folks will simply 'give a pass' to a 'risky' F18

- Russ herrold