Re: F17-Beta: some flaws

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:30 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the x86_64 F17-Beta iso and installed it inside VirtualBox.
> I did a minimal install. Install was done flawlessly, and I could boot.
>
> 1.
>
> Then I booted this fresh installed F17 with a rescue start until the
> root partition was mounted to /mnt/sysimage. Nothing more. Then a simple
> reboot of the F17 box performed a partition relabel which took some
> time. Why that?

Dunno.

> 2.
>
> I run system-config-keyboard within the rescue shell and changed the
> keyboard to german-no-deadkeys. No error message, but still the keyboard
> remains US (y/z problem and some other needed keys).

Er, this sounds silly, but did you remember to chroot before running it?
Why did you do this from a rescue shell? And when you say 'the keyboard
remains US', *where* exactly? Desktops have their own keyboard layout
settings which can override the system-wide ones.

> 3. I tried to run gdisk or cgdisk inside the rescue. But this is not
> offered by the rescue system. My opinion: If I install an OS with GPT
> and I perform a rescue, the gdisk and/or cgdisk should be available.

parted is, that's the 'recommended' tool.

> 4.
>
> Trying "yum install */gdisk" produces an error:
>
> File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in <module>
> import yummain
>
> Import error: No module named yummain

yeah, you're not really supposed to be able to yum from within rescue, I
don't think.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey