Re: PXE boot in F17 has changed considerably?

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 13:48 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

> >> Don't use root= argument, that might cause a lot of problems, just repo=.
> >>
> >> Please don't top-post.
> > Have we checked that the need for repo= is documented in the release
> > notes and/or install guide? If not, does anyone want to volunteer? :)
> root= is no longer needed.
>
> If one leaves off repo= will Anaconda ask for it?

No, that's where we came in: if you leave repo= off, stuff breaks.

I've just talked to wwoods about this and sent a mail to docs@.

When doing a direct kernel boot (e.g. PXE) you have to specify either
repo= or stage2= , pointing to a repository with a stage2 file in it -
i.e. you point to the directory with a .treeinfo file, and a
subdirectory LiveOS with a file squashfs.img in it. If the repo you're
pointing to is a complete one - i.e. it also has packages, all the
packages you need for the install you're doing, and you want to use it
as the package repo - then use repo= . If the repo you're pointing to
for stage2 is a skeleton that only contains squashfs.img (in the correct
layout, of course) and you want to pull the packages from somewhere
else, use stage2= to point to the stage2 repo and either leave repo= out
(in which case anaconda will use the default mirror list repos, as
usual) or specify both stage2= and repo= . If you specify both, anaconda
will pull stage2 from the 'stage2=' repo and packages from the 'repo='
repo.

We're not sure anyone's actually tested the stage2= parameter
functionality, so if anyone wants to test that, please do.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey