Re: Weird Firefox performance issue

On 5/1/2012 10:28 AM, David wrote:
The major of the 'Firefox is slow' problems are caused by misbehaving
themes and extensions and the the 'remnants' that some of them leave in
the configuration files.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but that doesn't explain why moving my entire ~/.mozilla/firefox directory out of the way and then moving it back without changing anything would make the performance problems go away.

We're not talking about transient issues either. It isn't at all likely that it was just a coincidence that the problems went away that particular time I restarted Firefox. As far as I could tell I was seeing them every single time I used Firefox, no matter what pages I was viewing, for well over a week, and then they instantly went away when I moved the diretories around and put them back.

As unlikely as I think it is, I have to assume that Firefox is keeping some state somewhere other than in ~/.mozilla/firefox, and moving that directory out of the way temporarily caused that other state, in whatever other location it is, to get cleaned up. That theory does seem far-fetched, but I can't think of a better one.

  jik