Re: Fedora-17 Irritations

On 04/23/2012 08:52 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 16:52 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> On 21/04/12 12:55, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> [cut]
>>> Well, I check GNOME and I found that if you click on your name in the upper right and
>>> choose System Settings you can choose "Region and Language" and change the layout.
>>> Picking United Kingdom (English) results in picking Metric.
>> Exactly the problem! I'm not French and I want English measurements to
>> be the default for United Kingdom locale settings.
> I imagine there might be some kind of controversy over which should be
> the default for the U.K., given its schizophrenic approach to the use of
> weights and measures. I guess GNOME (or whoever actually sets those
> defaults) went with metric because the metric system is more or less
> given precedence in most current legislation.
>
> I suppose someone could hack up a special measurements locale for the
> U.K. where short distances are measured in centimetres but long ones in
> miles, golf courses are measured in yards but athletic events in metres,
> soft drinks measured in litres but alcoholic ones in pints, temperatures
> in celsius or farenheit depending on the age of the user (could be
> detected via webcam, perhaps?), and so on, but it seems like rather a
> lot of work...;)

Of course the OP is only asking for one change to satisfy himself.  He isn't asking
what you've suggested.  And, he hasn't suggested that a bugzilla or RFE needs filing
to change the current behavior.

So, how about focusing on what he wants for himself?

I believe what he wants is a locale where LC_MESSAGES= gives a variable that results
in imperial measurements being defined.  If that isn't what he wants/needs I would
hope he would tell us.

He was given 2 avenues which are thought to accomplish what he wants.  Personally, I
prefer the $HOME/.i18n route.

The one method he tried seemed not to work....but he didn't supply more details as to
why he thinks it didn't work.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage