Re: Inadequate sound device control

On 04/15/2012 02:12 PM, stan wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 09:32:27 -0400
Jonathan Kamens <jik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In particular, I would like to be able to control things at this
level:
came through blank here
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/attachments/20120415/a0f1597e/attachment-0001.png
Except (a) the alsamixer curses interface is hardly one that's easy
for random users to find, and (b) even in alsamixer, I have to hit F6
and select my sound card before I see the level of granularity shown
above.
Use alsamixer -c <card number here, start from 0>
You can find card numbers with
aplay -l
Once in alsamixer, F3 is playback, F4 is record, F5 is combined.

For really detailed settings, install alsa-utils and use amixer.
I understand what you are saying, but you're missing the point. It should not be this hard to access detailed sound settings. If Fedora is going to use pulseaudio, then pulseaudio needs to provide access to these settings.

These are not esoteric settings that only audiophiles use. I have to tweak them regularly to get my speakers, headset, and microphone to play nicely together, due to another bug, i.e., that Fedora doesn't seem to remember my settings between logins / reboots. But even if that bug weren't present and the settings were remembered, I would still need to tweak them at least once to set them properly the first time, and right now there's no way to do that through a GUI, whereas there was before when gmixer was supported. That's simply an unacceptable loss in basic functionality, which has been totally lost for at least two major releases now.

I love a lot of things about Fedora, but one of the things I absolutely hate is its penchant for ripping out things that work and replacing them with things that don't have nearly the same functionality, perhaps with an amorphous functionality to restore the missing functionality at some time in the indeterminate future.

  jik