Re: Weird rawhide desktop behavior

On 03/24/2012 11:12 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
On 03/24/2012 05:58 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
Here's a strange pathology that just bit me for the first time in a while,
though I've seen it before.  I'm not sure where to file a bug on this
one...

In short: I'll be working away, minding my own business, when the desktop goes completely dead - no response to any key or mouse events. That said, the X server is still running; the pointer still moves with the mouse. I
can also switch to another virtual console with alt-ctrl-Fn.  Sometimes
things start working again after some time (measured in minutes);
sometimes I lose patience and start over. Today I went and made lunch and
it never came back.

Hmm

I think there was a lock screen bug mentioned upstream that fits this description...

JBG
Same thing happened to me with RC1 Gnome on 64 bit.  Yum update was running
in one window and I was surfing in another, each window taking up about half the 1080x1920 monitor. All of a sudden Firefox stopped responding and Yum ground to a halt. The mouse cursor still followed mouse movements, but the keyboard and mouse keys were dead. No Ctrl-Alt-Fn did anything. No LED response to CapsLock etc.. Some background process accessed the HD from time to time. I had to use the hardware reset.

Yum was hopelessly confused so I reinstalled RC1 and ran yum update from a console terminal. Hooray for Xfce which works better now. Everyone I know of who uses Linux
as a tool rather dislikes Gnome 3, so let's make sure Xfce works properly.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com