Re: Strange behaviour in Disk Druid

On 12/08/2011 01:26 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 08:31 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> This is a FC16 x86_64 install, but perhaps it is also in the current
>> development and you might want to look into this...
>>
>> This is my first FC16 install and I had skipped FC15. (that is my prior
>> experiences are with FC14)
>>
>> I like to override the default LVM setup with my own preferences, so
>> with past installs I have delete the LVM group that would result in the
>> LVM partition being returned to the free space list for my to then use
>> for reallocation.
>>
>> The FC16 Disk Druid dropped all that freed up space into the EFI
>> partition (I don't have that screen in front of me right now for the
>> details and this EFI partition is new to me, that is was not in FC14
>> installs) instead of into free space.
> You only get an EFI system partition if you do an EFI install. EFI is
> the new standard for PC system firmware, it's intended to replace the
> BIOS format; all systems that use EFI firmware currently also support
> BIOS emulation mode (CSM), and Fedora boot images are capable of being
> booted in both EFI mode and BIOS mode. Whether you wind up booting in
> EFI mode or BIOS mode is a function of how your system handles the
> choice for the type of media you happen to use for the install, they all
> seem to do it a bit differently.

This is a bit confusing to me, being just a general abuser of Fedora  :)

I did not select an EFI install.  I just purchased a Lenovo x120e and
built the F16 x86_64 DVD from the iso I downloaded.  I also downloaded
the updates so I would have a local update repo, but this did not come
into play until it was time to select the stuff to actually install.  So
the 64 DVD defaulted to EFI for the x120e.  The EFI partition was
initially ~11.7Gb and grew to all of the available space when I deleted
the LVM group.

I don't know if I will be reinstalling F16 on this system.  I am
struggling along getting it set up as I want it.  Probably my next
install on this 120e will be F18 ;)  (I do tend to skip releases.  My
old HP nc2400 had F8, 10, 11, 12, and 14).

Thanks for all the good stuff you provide for people like me.  I will
continue to strive to provide decent standards (I work on security
protocols in IETF and IEEE 802, I am the author of HIP in IETF and will
be chairing IEEE 802.15.9 which is my PAR) for people like you!