Re: / must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

Once upon a time, David Lehman <dlehman@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> You found a bug. We don't honor fsprofile when --useexisting is passed
> to the logvol command. If you file a bug it can be fixed pretty easily.
> Or, if you just let anaconda create your logical volumes for you you
> won't hit the bug.

I wondered if that was the problem.  However, I also don't see my test
settings applied to /boot.

> Out of curiosity, why are you doing the partitioning and lvm stuff in %
> pre?

Anaconda doesn't give any controls of ordering or layout of LVs.  For
example, I use LVM snapshots for backups.  I create the LVs with a
little empty space at the end to use for the snapshot (so it stays close
to the original data).  I also then need to leave a certain amount (that
I figure in percent) of the VG free for snapshot space.

I've also used mirrored LVs for some setups in the past.  I actually did
that with a crazy hack that involved bind mounting a wrapper script over
lvcreate (so I didn't do partitioning/LV setup in %pre). :-)

The ordering wouldn't be hard to handle in anaconda, but the other
things would be tricky.  I guess if anaconda had ordering controls, I
could use a bunch of scratch LVs in between each "real" LV (and then
delete the scratch LVs in %post).  That might also work to reserve space
for snapshots.

Anaconda also doesn't allow custom RAID configuration options, such as
metadata versions, chunk size, bitmaps, creation of RAID with missing
devices (or IIRC RAID1 with 1 drive) for later expansion.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>