Re: any nouveau refresh in f16 beta?

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 14:30 +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Wed Oct 12 01:30:57 UTC 2011 Adam Williamson wrote:
> > There's nothing really interesting in the xorg-x11-drv package any more.
> > All the interesting bits are in the kernel module, which gets updated
> > very frequently.
>
> Ok.
> So the link I gave:
> http://nouveau.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=nouveau/envytools;a=commitdiff;h=b645e6f7d9f204a9176747f129e9e365dcd877ce
> is somethng about kernel part of nouveau?

envytools isn't actually part of the driver, it's a set of little tools
which can help in driver development, sometimes - basically ways to get
information out of cards that can help the devs. See the README file in
the envytools dir.

> In this case how can I know if there should be any support for NVD9
> (GT520 on a laptop... GF119 chipset) in my current kernel in F15 (
> 2.6.40.6-0.fc15.x86_64) or current kernel available in F16?
> Any modinfo switch ? Or should I download source.rpm?

I'd say the easiest thing is just to get one of those kernels and try. I
think the F16 kernel may have a shot.

> rpm -q --changelog against 2.6.40.6-0.fc15.x86_64 gives only:
>
> * Thu Aug 25 2011 Ben Skeggs
> - nouveau: add patch fixing ttm issues that lead to oopses/corruption
> (rhbz#699551)
>
> * Tue Aug 23 2011 Ben Skeggs
> - nouveau: pull patches from 3.1 to fix some suspend/hibernate
> problems (rhbz#730582)

Yeah - most of the changes happen upstream and simply get pulled
downstream into the Fedora kernel builds, so you won't find the info in
the Fedora kernel package changelogs but in the upstream kernel
changelogs.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey