Re: grub2 confusion

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 13:21 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Michael Schwendt writes:
> > The symlink target is read-only as another reminder that one should
> > not edit it with an editor but only via the fragments in /etc/grub.d/
> >
> > --
>
> Seems clear enough, as is also the unambiguous header in grub.cfg,
> until one reads the Grub manual which clearly and unambiguously says:
> "In the meantime, those who feel that it would be easier to write
> grub.cfg directly are encouraged to do so."

There's a difference between 'write directly' and 'modify directly'. You
have two choices: use tools to generate/maintain the config file from
the fragments, or manually write and update the file directly. You
shouldn't really mix and match the two approaches. As Fedora is a
distribution that aims to have things work 'automatically', we have to
pick one of these approaches, and we choose to generate the config file
based on the fragments; hence you probably shouldn't edit it directly as
you can't rely on your modifications sticking.

If you hand-wrote the config file from scratch, it obviously would not
include the commented warning telling you not to edit it directly. ;)

You did cut out the rather important bit at the end of the sentence you
quoted...it does not end with a full stop, but with this:

", and to disable any system provided by their distribution to
automatically run grub-mkconfig."

i.e. if you decide to maintain your config by hand then you have to try
and stop your distro doing it for you, and that's outside of the
distro's scope of support.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey