Re: pulseaudio on f16 using cpu

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 23:13 -0600, Peter Gueckel wrote:
> I have noticed that pulseaudio uses upwards of 16% CPU and when I start krunner
> to investigate, I see that there are often numerous pulseaudio processes all
> running simultaneously, but greyed out. And this, while I am not even using any
> applications that emit sound!
>
> It is so bad, that the mouse is often locked up for a few seconds, screens won't
> update, etc., because of the high load.
>
> I tried killing pulseaudio --kill ad a new one was generated and the same is
> happening.
>
> When I try to use an application to play music, for example, no sound is emitted
> and the application gets stuck.
>
> What is causing this and how do I get rid of it?

To debug, create a file ~/.pulse/client.conf and put this line in it:

autospawn = no

that will stop PA respawning itself when you kill it. Then you can do
pulseaudio -k and then run pulseaudio -vvvvv from a console, and you'll
see all the pulseaudio debug output, which might help debug the issue.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey