pulseaudio on f16 using cpu

I have noticed that pulseaudio uses upwards of 16% CPU and when I start krunner
to investigate, I see that there are often numerous pulseaudio processes all
running simultaneously, but greyed out. And this, while I am not even using any
applications that emit sound!

It is so bad, that the mouse is often locked up for a few seconds, screens won't
update, etc., because of the high load.

I tried killing pulseaudio --kill ad a new one was generated and the same is
happening.

When I try to use an application to play music, for example, no sound is emitted
and the application gets stuck.

What is causing this and how do I get rid of it?