Re: GRUB FAilure

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 19:22 -0400, Marty Felkler wrote:
> I could not isntall GRUB to the boot partition on my second drive
> /dev/sdb2.  The only way was to install to MBR on /dev/sda.  This was

This will no longer be an issue as of the first beta test compose. To
get grub2 installed on sdb2 you can switch to the shell on tty2, run
'chroot /mnt/sysimage', then run "grub2-install --force '(hd1,2)'". If
you're using live media, ignore the part about tty2; just start a shell,
and run 'su -' to get root, then run the chroot and grub2-install
commands above.

> kinda a bummer since it wiped out my TereabyteUnilimted Boot Manager
> making Windows, openSUSE and Ubuntu unbootable.  Will try to either
> install GRUB on /dev/sdb2 or at least have the GRUB boot menu allow me
> to boot other OS (like chainloader +1 for Windows for example).  From
> the FedorafForums  the developer for Fedora GRUB  posted in response to
> me that instead of "update-grub" you can use the command
> "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" to create grub.cfg  which I
> believe GRUB reads but probably you  have to hand edit to grub.cfg to
> make the other entries.  He provide a FAQ he's has been writing.
>   http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/grub2.html

Instead of the hand editing, try this: install os-prober (yum install
os-prober) and then recreate your grub2 config (grub2-mkconfig
-o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg). You should find that entries now exist for all
of your installed operating systems.

> Marty
>
> PS Has anybody gotten the the netisntall or DVD ISO to boot?  They just
> froze on me.  The only way I could install was bly using the Live ISO.

My first guess would be not enough memory. If you're in the ballpark of
512M you could have problems getting the installer started.

HTH