Re: persistent gnome dep problems (F16 alpha rc3-5, alpha), --skip-broken wants to haul in 32-bit libs

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 11:12 -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:08:52 -0400
> Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Error: Protected multilib versions:
> > > gnome-panel-libs-3.1.5-2.fc16.x86_64 !=
> > > gnome-panel-libs-3.0.2-3.fc16.i686
> > >

> > I have no idea what these errors mean or how to fix them.
> > Any advice would be appreciated. Actually, this one is kind of
> > understandable, but I have also seen 'protected multilib' stuff where
> > both sides of the != were the same arch, which left me wondering.
>
> I've worked my way through this kind of mess a couple of times now, most
> recently yesterday.  Here's my experience:
>
>  - Do a big rawhide update - in this case, at least two weeks worth.
>
>  - Somewhere in the middle, while I'm not looking, the update kills the
>    running session and/or X server - I come back to a login screen.  It
>    used to be safe to run "yum update" from a terminal window, but,
>    seemingly, not anymore.  Not really a step in the right direction.

I don't think you could say it's ever been entirely *safe*; there's
always the potential that some update could do something to kill the
running session, and the more complex the definition of 'running
session', the more likely it is. Obviously a fat desktop on X is more
complex than a VT. I can only remember it happening to me once or twice,
but I'm not sure it's fair to say it's more likely now than in The
Golden Past.

I suspect the 'real fix' for that is to run your yum updates in a screen
session. I say 'suspect' because somehow I never quite get around to
learning how to use screen...but it seems like just the ticket, as it
would prevent the desktop going down from killing the yum update.

> What I have found in these cases is that there are *two* versions of the
> indicated library installed simultaneously (for the same architecture).
> In each case, simply removing the older version clears the problem.

What I'd actually recommend in that situation is doing 'rpm -e --justdb
--noscripts' on the 'old versions'; that will remove the entries from
RPM's database without possibly removing files that are actually part of
the newer one, or running scripts, which you don't want to happen.

In any case, that's not what's causing the 'protected multilib' thing
people are seeing in F16 now (or were yesterday), it's just an artefact
of yum trying to work around missing deps when you use --skip-broken.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey