Re: Can't see Verne through the GUI

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 15:10 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> On 08/15/2011 07:15 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On 8/14/11 2:17 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> >
> >> Installed with the default video driver on a Geforce 460SE.
> >> Still won't run Genome 3.  Wether or not one agrees with
> >> Linus's characterization of Gnome 3, the fallback mode is
> >> unarguably brain damaged.
> >
> > You keep saying things like this without ever characterising the
> > failure, even after asked for more details.  This makes it very hard
> > to continue to care about anything you report.
> >
> > Likewise, we're not _ever_ going to offer to download proprietary
> > drivers for you, no matter how many times you say it.
> >
> > - ajax
> >
> When I try to start a Gnome session,  Gnome proclaims that Gnome 3
> failed to run.
> We all know this is because Gnome 3 requires 3D acceleration.  The
> defult driver
> for Nvidia cards does not support this.

This is not correct. nouveau supports acceleration for a large majority
of NVIDIA cards. The most recent two generations do not work out of the
box due to firmware licensing issues, but this will be resolved in F16.
All previous generations back to, oh, a decade ago or so are supported.

>   As far as I know, the situation
> is the same for ATI.

Also not correct. The radeon driver has 3D support for virtually all
ATI/AMD adapters.

> I have a machine with integrated Intel graphics that most likely would
> support Gnome 3
> with its default driver.  The last time I tried 3D on that machine it
> was too slow to be useful.

The Intel driver and hardware are more than fast enough to run GNOME 3
acceptably on all i9xx and later adapters (that's back to several years
ago).

> It is my understanding that the majority of desktop machines run Nvidia
> or ATI graphics cards.
> It is a fact of life that Gnome 3 in its present incarnation will not
> function on these machines;
> it will fall back to a brain damaged afterthought GUI.

It is not a fact of life, it is an erroneous assumption on your part. We
did extensive testing of GNOME 3 across all the three major adapter
families before deciding to deploy it in Fedora 15. That testing was
organized through this group and documented on this list.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-22_Nouveau
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-23_Radeon
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-24_Intel
--