Re: gnome login problems...

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Rob Healey <robhealey1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings All:
> I am having problems with the gnome login screen right now!
> When I first turn on my computer for the day, the gnome login comes up with
> no user selection at all!  No other option either and no buttons
> available...
> I press Cntrl-Alt-Delete, and it gives me the buttons of Cancel and Log
> out...
> Press Log oUt, and it goes black for a second and comes up with the same
> gnome login except that Other is now available and the buttons too...
> I can click other, and it will give me the user/ password entry fields...
> I can now login, but it is a pain in the bottom to have to do it this way...
> Does anyone else have this problem as well and is there a possible work
> around to get it back?
> --
> Sincerely yours,
> Rob G. Healey
> "Always surround yourself with people that inspire you to
> greatness!"
>
> --

An update to shadow-utils (rawhide) changed the minimum UID/GID from
500 to 1000, so if all your 'normal users' have UIDs less than 1000
they will not be displayed by the gdm greeter.

Workarounds include downgrading shadow-utils or editing
/etc/login.defs to change {UID,GID}_MIN from 1000 to 500.

There is a discussion about this on the -devel mailing list.

tom
--
Tom London