Re: Updating security classes and access vectors in Fedora policy?

On 2/18/20 4:33 PM, Lukas Vrabec wrote:
I fully agree that we should merge commits from the refpolicy, which
removing unused permissions and classes. This should *NOT* break anything.

Related to new permissions, we need to understand what are security
benefits of adding it to Fedora (and RHEL). The main goal is keep "good"
balance between usability and security (We cannot introduce any
regressions by adding policy features)

My suggestion is start with removing obsolete and unused
permissions/classes and after discussion (e.g here) we can start picking
some good candidate RFEs.

@Ondrej,
AFAIK, you prepared PR to remove unused classes and permissions, could
we merge it?

Caveat: Removing unused classes and permissions can break policy updates when there are local or third party policy modules installed that were built against the older refpolicy headers that still declared them and potentially even allowed them. On the policy package update, any references to the removed classes or permissions in the local or third party policy module will fail to resolve, and semodule -B will fail. Unfortunately since this is run from %post and not integrated via rpm selinux plugin, the failure won't rollback the rpm transaction, so from rpm's point of view, the updated policy package will be installed but libsemanage will have rolled back to the old policy since it couldn't resolve the classes/permissions. Only way to fix is to remove the offending policy modules, update, recompile the offending policy modules against the new headers, and then re-install them.

For testsuite purposes, it is more crucial to add the new classes/permissions so that the tests actually run than removing the dead ones.