Re: SELinux and AppArmor.

Lukas Vrabec <lvrabec@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I like to see more distros using fedora selinux-policy as deault
> SELinux policy. But as Stephen mentioned, it has to come from within.
> From my POV, I like that refpolicy is more strict then fedora selinux
> policy, because both policies could be used for different use cases.
> If there is any possible cooperation with Ubuntu or SUSE on SELinux,
> I'm more then happy to discuss possibilities.

I believe distros writing policies is a bad idea. It should be up to
application developers to contribute not only code but also the
associated systemd, firewall and SELinux integration.

IOW, there should be a clear methodology for applications to participate
in distros. Ideally, an application would be written once and dropped
as-is into every distro out there.

This document comes close to what is needed for us application
developers:

  https://blogs.rdoproject.org/2017/09/selinux-policy-from-the-ground-up/

However, I'm a bit appalled that they would recommend:

  * Use audit2allow

The linked document by Miroslav Grepl (<URL:
https://mgrepl.fedorapeople.org/PolicyCourse/writingSELinuxpolicy_MUNI.pdf>)
belongs to a largish pile of information that educates you a lot about
SELinux details but fails to teach you a methodology. First off, it's
not clear if the document is meant for sysadmins or application
developers.

I believe I understand to a reasonable degree what labels are and how
SELinux does its enforcement mechanically. Similarly I understand the
wavelengths of the red and blue colors, but that doesn't make me a
Michelangelo. Or I understand the function of white and black piano
keys, but that doesn't make me a Chopin. Advising me to use audit2allow
is like telling me to keep banging the piano keys until it sounds great.

Or maybe now that the kernel will allow the stacking of security
modules, each application writer should write a dedicated security
module for their application...

Marko