Problems with enigmail, gnupg2, and thunderbird.

I have all these programs:

enigmail 1.8.2 ,
thunderbird-38.4.0-1.el6_7.x86_64 , and
gnupg2-2.0.14-8.el6.x86_64 .

They all sort-of work. If I start up thunderbird and want to compose a
message, I can do that. If I say I want to sign or encrypt it, I can
sort of do that too. A pinentry dialog box comes up, and I enter my
passphrase, and it works.

Similarly for reading signed or encrypted messages.

But I get the pinentry dialog box _every time_, and I did not used to
with the 1.4 (I think it was ) versions of these programs.

I have googled and stuff, and nothing I find seems to apply to RHEL
systems.
They have me enter stuff into .profile, and I have no such file.
They want me to put stuff into .xsession, .bashrc, and .bash_profile.
They all do  stuff. But not useable.

I assume this is a configuration problem. But where do I find the
_authoritative documentation_ on how to configure these programs to work
together.

Some advice talks about a gnome keyring.
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 10:20:01 up 5 days, 10:53, 2 users, load average: 5.04, 4.69, 4.57