Re: SELinux Development yum group proposal

On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 10:40 +0200, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think for newcomers it is sometimes difficult to find the packages to
> install if they want to use some tools. The relevant packages are AFAIK:
> selinux-policy, audit, libselinux-utils, setools, setools-console,
> policycoreutils-python, setroubleshoot and maybe few others.
>
> The most confusing is in my humble opinion semanage tool which is
> present in policycoreutils-python. With image deployment which is
> popular in infrastructure clouds, administrators need to deal with
> minimum OS installs very often and some tools are usually missing in
> RHEL/Fedora. And they are not finding them.
>
> Thus I propose to create new yum group SELinux Development that would
> help installing these tools all in once. And then spreading the word.
> What folks think about this?

Probably best to skip the yum group idea and go straight through to the
spreading the word phase.

You see none of the packages you described are (or have to be) really
required.

Chances are that you do not want those on a minimal system. You will
probably want to keep things minimal.

Even then, a yum group idea would still not be optimal because not all
packages are always useful.

RPM dependencies will take care of pulling the requirements per package.