Re: what do we do with user_home_t, and what more could we do with it?

On Wed, 2013-10-30 at 09:50 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:11:39 -0400,
>    Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >There is some concern on the devel mailing list about user-writable
> >directories in the default $PATH -- initially discussion about ~/.local/bin
> >as a hidden file, but now also out to ~/bin as well. I notice that these are
> >home_bin_t. What does this do with the current policy, and what more could
> >we do? (Particularly, a compromised application shouldn't be able to put
> >binaries there, but a shell script or something like `pip install` probably
> >_should_ be able to.)
>
> As was also pointed out in that thread, if you are going to worry about
> those directories, you should also worry about dot files used when starting
> up shells (.login, .cshrc, .profile and the like).
> --

Just give those a private type as well, allow user domains full access
to content with the private type, and restrict targeted applications
access to content with that type.

I actually implemented a policy module that does just that for fedora
19, although i haven't maintained it in the last couple months so it may
have developed bugs in the mean while

https://github.com/mypublicrepositories/myloginuser

video related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUpxCXGluBI