Re: Proof is in the pudding

On 17/05/13 01:03, Douglas Brown wrote:
Hi all,

You may have seen this vulnerability talked about recently:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/critical-linux-vulnerability-imperils-users-even-after-silent-fix/

After a long time of evangelising about SELinux to my sceptical
colleagues, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to test it.

We tried the exploit with SELinux in permissive mode and it worked then
in enforcing and SELinux prevented it! Not that I'm surprised, but it's
nice to have a real-world exploit to demonstrate.

Cheers,
Doug

Actually, it is quite irrelevant, if the user is confined, because the exploit can be modified to disable selinux, giving full access to the system. Fact is, this exploit is quite nasty in that respect, as you can pretty much modify anything. So, in other words, it just makes the attackers life a tiny bit harder, unless she is a script kiddie.

Regards,
Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx