Re: Policy Module Packaging Guidelines (first draft)

Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 13:49 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
* How should the selinux policy module be versioned?  Should it match
the application versioning?  Are there any restrictions on policy module
version numbers?
I don't think that policy numbers need bear any resemblance to the main package version; I've added a note to that effect. I'm not sure what the actual restrictions are on numbering, e.g whether any characters not in the class [0-9.] are allowed.

It can basically be any character; anything that works right with
strverscmp(). For sanity we probably want to stick to [0-9a-z.].
Upstream refpolicy versioning is x.y.z, where z is incremented every
time the module changes, y is incremented on a upstream release if the
module has changed since the last release (i.e. z != 0), and x is
incremented on major changes to the module.

Thanks; I've added these details to the wiki page.

Paul.