Re: applying SELinux policy for httpd

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
Joe Orton wrote:
I'd also like to mention again that the new FC4 policy of only applying SELinux policy if httpd is started from the init script is confusing the hell out of people. It breaks the principle of least astonishment. I'd much rather live with the fact that SELinux policy is *always* applied, and the fallout from that, than see this confusion of people hitting SELinux policy issues, get confused, restart httpd, see them disappear, etc.
Maybe we could put something in apache to check if httpd_tty_comm is active or at least see if writing to the terminal is allowed, if (access(tty, W_OK)) then put a message in the log file stating that output to the terminal is disabled you can enable using setsebool or system-config-securitylevel.

We can change the default to httpd_tty_com being true, but this potentially allows cgi scripts to interact with the terminal, by default.