Re: fedora-selinux-list Digest, Vol 20, Issue 9

fedora-selinux-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Re: cant create dirs from vsftpd
From:
Peter Magnusson <iocc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 23:01:03 +0200 (CEST)
To:
"Lamont R. Peterson" <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

To:
"Lamont R. Peterson" <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC:
Fedora SELinux <fedora-selinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:

Yes, you are. Im NOT talking about an anonymous ftp server. I login with my
user and I expect to have the same files available as when I login over
ssh or sits in front of the computer.

Daniel has already replied and told you how to make the change you want. I
will just say that the setup you describe here is VERY VERY insecure.

Yes. Just like it worked in FC3.

Remember, FTP is not encrypted, so your username and password are going over the wire in clear text. Also, since the FTP daemon has access to the whole
filesystem, anyone can get anything on your box (possibly even write any
files they want, though that would depend on more configuration details than
what you have told me about).

I know, if I am at some untrusted location I ftp to a temp-ftp account that I change the password for each time. Or use scp.

FTP is the wrong tool for this. You should use sftp (from SSH not SSL) or
scp.

Problems with scp: cant tab dirs, cant use -R like in ncftp to upload whole dirs.

scp -r works but thats not always how I want it.

Use sftp.

John Griffiths