Re: cant create dirs from vsftpd

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:

Also, Im not so sure that I like that I cant see alot of dirs when Im
logged in at the ftp.

Give specific examples, and why you think FTP should be able to see that

system dirs, like /bin in the root and a few dirs and files in my homedir.

dir? Most security people would consider this behavior in general a
feature rather than a bug - but if there's a *specific* corner case that
needs different treatment, we probably can fix it.

I expect to see the same files as when I login over ssh or sits in front of
the computer. I dont see why vsftpd should be special in any way so I dont
see some dirs or files.

Perhaps, I'm just a little bit confused.  Are you wanting your FTP server to
provide access to the entire filesystem space?  It seems like that is what
you are asking for and that is not how FTP works.

Correct!
My non-anonymous vsftpd server under FC3 works exactly like that. But selinux in FC4 have problems with that. The polcy is broken.

FTP like HTTP serves up files only from a subset of the filesystem space.  You
wouldn't want your web server providing access to the entire filesystem,
would you?  The same is true of FTP.

Please, if I am misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish here, feel
free to explain it.

Yes, you are. Im NOT talking about an anonymous ftp server. I login with my user and I expect to have the same files available as when I login over ssh or sits in front of the computer.